Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Latob in Tata Linuz

The most memorable experience I had with Tata Linuz happened during one of the "modelling" sessions we had when i was in first year college.

For those who studied at OLPS College and took up English Composition Subject with Tata Linuz, modelling was his endearing legacy of teaching the English Language by demonstrating to us excerpts on the works of great writers that we must use as "models" to write our own compositions.

In one of our classes with him he jokingly warned me : "Mr. Perez, remember that I am a lawyer, I can sue you for destroying my eyesight, you've got a terrible handwriting!"

But I was so glad I never got a "latob" or "banggurang" from him, his "punishment/karinyo" to his students for every mispronounced word, wrong grammar and spelling... Without warning he says "latubon/banggurangon ta ika," (pero linatob/binanggurang ka na niya bag - o ka pa man sabihan.)

He was the only seminary mentor who's too eager to start the class immediately by beginning to lead the opening prayer as soon as he enters the classroom while we are still rising up from our seats to do the sign of the cross. By the time he reaches the teacher's table, the opening prayer was already done and he's ready to start the class right away.

Lsst October 2005 during the Alumni homecoming, I really intended to talk to him during the solidarity night to express my gratitude to him in teaching us the English language effectively. I was exempted by the Ford Foundation International to take the Intensive English Course for the pre - academic traning of their fellows - elect. I thanked him for his efforts were not in vain.

In between his smile and chuckles he quipped : "You see Totep, it pays really! Now you understand why I was strict then.."

Tata Linuz, thank you for your modelling...na may kaupod na latob nan banggurang.

(note: may I invite everybody to post their memories on Tata Linuz, and maybe we can compile these as a tribute to one great mentor who inspired us to write and create our own writing styles.)

No comments: