Monday, October 16, 2006

Reminiscing Tata Lines

(I am posting herewith, the letter of fr. vic sent to me via e-mail, rb_marcial@yahoo.com)


mga pads,

here are the pictures taken last oct12, sa lamay ni +tatalines, at the Home for the Clergy where his remains lies, during which, batch 87 accidently met without that planned communication.. sadyang pinagtagpo ang batch87. kita pa!

please pray for the eternal repose of Fr. Lino. He died last Oct10, in the afternoon, of car accident (he was driving his brand new black chevrolet), along villa hermosa route when he was coming back from legazpi. What really happened that caused his car to rump head on to a tree is a cause of many speculations.. sabi kan iba inatake sa puso, others would say nangaturog siya while driving. He's a diabetic kaya posible nangaturog siya.

for fr. Henry, tato, ian, garry, glenn, gibbs, he was our Captain, the best literary professor we ever had. remember "o captain, my captain" a poem by walt whitman na tinuro sa aton ni tatalines? Remember Dead Poets Society? Si Robin Williams na english profesor? This poem reminds me of tatalines.. if you can still remember the poem.. somehow it speaks of tatalines..


see:

O Captain! My Captain!
by Walt Whitman


O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done, The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won, The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting, While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring; But O heart! heart! heart! O
the bleeding drops of red, Where on the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead. O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells; Rise up- for you the flag is flung- for you the bugle trills, For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths- for you the shores a-crowding, For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning; Here Captain! dear father! This arm beneath your head! It is some dream that on the deck, You've fallen cold and dead. My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still, My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will, The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done, From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won; Exult O shores,
and ring O bells! But I with mournful tread, Walk the deck my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.


somehow for me, it is for tatalines..

PRAY FOR HIS SOUL!

vicboy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

weird nga to see fr. lino lifeless like this. but yes, his death brings back so many memories. we owe a lot to him. :)

gibbs

Anonymous said...

right gibbs, i can still vividly recall when tata lines directed me to recite those beautiful phrases of,Walt Whitman's "O Captain! my Captain", during our philo days..tapos, bigla "boog!"..mala kay an latob na niya, hehehehe!..farewell, fr. lines, thanks for that "latob", had it not for your unique methods of teaching, lain ako naging spokesperson san BFP..Godspeed!

Anonymous said...

yo, right bommick...i definitely agree with u..